My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Thursday, November 15, 2018

Sun once more

At the Tuesday night family dinner we planned out a lot of Thanksgiving dinner.  As far as we know there will be 17 of us. A smaller number than in years past. Eight of them are my youngest son's kids;  the ninth one is married and now has conflicting holiday requests to process. We'll gather at his house.  It's a big house and the kids have room to roam inside and out.

I'm in charge of green beans and devilled eggs. Not a green bean casserole though, these are cooked in heaps of bacon and almonds. I put avacado in some of the eggs and once they got used to green eggs (and no ham) they were the first ones to be eaten. Interestingly much less dessert than usual. I wonder if that will make it to the finish line.  It already made me think about making and bringing a cheesecake, maybe pumpkin cheesecake, with chocolate. OMG.

Fall is racing by. We have sun and 50 again today replacing the freezing, day long fogs we had last week. I'm going for a walk in this park as it shows off the of last of it's fall colors before the big leaf drop.

Image may contain: tree, plant, sky, outdoor, nature and water

You can see snow in the hills down low enough to be seen from town.  The recent snow will put an end finally to some of the wildfires still smoldering in the high hills. We tend to forget about them after the smoke disappears in September but they are there.  How lucky we have been. We got a reminder to sign up for our county emergency notifications prompted I'm sure by the horrors of the heartbreaking California fires.  The San Diego Union Tribune published a list of places to contribute to help with aftermath of the CAmp, Woolsey and Hill fires if you are of mind to do that.

Hope your Thanksgiving is good.


4 Comments:

Blogger Tabor said...

My Thanksgiving will be a non-event. Both kids and their families are to the other relatives and hubby and I did not get our reservation into the usual restaurant. He is a bit glum, but it is what it is. Have a good one.

November 16, 2018 at 8:50 AM  
Blogger Mage said...

Happy thanksgiving to you and your family. It all sounds lovely. Green beans in butter with garlic...that's good too.

November 21, 2018 at 6:32 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Sounds like you are going to have fun! Avocado in devilled eggs sound great! (and no ham. LOL) Pumpkin cheesecake and my mouth is watering. Throw in the chocolate and I'm drooling. OK, enough of that. I'll just go eat a celery stick. Ha. We've already had our Thanksgiving as you probably know.

We also have snow. Crazy. Too early. Fortunately I'm in Florida until Tuesday, so have missed a lot of the cold. I know my leaves are frozen under the now and will have to be dealt with in the spring.

So sorry to hear of the California fires. It's awful to think about people and animals suffering like that.

Enjoy the holiday. Hope all goes well.

November 22, 2018 at 1:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After the kids leave, something goes out of the holidays. Up to us to be happy in ourselves.

December 3, 2018 at 12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home