My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Thursday, December 13, 2018

Twelve Days of Christmas or What's in Your Closet of Memories?

My teeney, smallish, totally fake Christmas tree is up.  It's over 10 years old and still hasn't fallen apart. I was not going to put it until last Monday and thought "why not?"  Caught the Christmas buzz. Two of my grandkids hauled it up from storag along with the boxes marked "small tree decor." They  assembled and decorated it while I made a home made pizza from scratch. That's a Christmas Miracle in itself. I'd forgotten how good homemade tastes and forgotten how much more fun it is to put a tree up with kids. Alrighty then. 




There is a well used, tired angel at the top. It was the tree topper my first husband and I bought for our first Christmas tree. We had just married in September. We were really broke, I worked and he had just gotten a job that started in January. We had a for-real Charlie Brown Christmas tree.  My kids loved her and she's been on the tree ever since whether it was a small or large tree that dwarfed her. They argue about who gets the angel when Ma croaks.

What to do with all those other boxes of Christmas Decorations? Through my former work I had access to a decorative supply company that provided huge discounts on some really lovely things in the era when we had 12' tree in the house.  I haven't been able to give them away but with 11 young grandkids beginning to move out into the world I hope to rehome many to family.

So what's hiding in your holiday closets and memories?



9 Comments:

Blogger Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

I notice how many of the old decorations I have given away. Several years ago I went through a vintage ornament binge, buying any thing at a thrift or yard sale. I also gave those away on gift packages. The special ones I keep around my desk all year.
Happy Holidays!

December 13, 2018 at 4:03 PM  
Blogger Michele Bilyeu said...

Oh,Celia,what an awesome Christmas story! It reminds me of our first Christmas tree. We were able to cut our own in a National forest fira $5 pass. I had q lot if $1/yd fabric in red, green,and yellow calico. I thought I was so clever with everything I nade but my kids see the photos and howl with laughter. They loved it all at tgw tine, if course. Such fun to remember and how wonderful to have grandkids to help! I have 3 tiny ones.But oh the fun of kids and grandkids at Christmas❣Happy Holidays to you and yours🎄🎵🎀

December 13, 2018 at 5:26 PM  
Blogger Rain Trueax said...

I miss how Christmas used to be, but remind myself of the cycles of life. Neat that you had grandchildren there to decorate yours.

December 14, 2018 at 3:46 AM  
Blogger Tabor said...

I gave out all the chldren's holiday decorations when they married and that was a relief to get rid of those precious memories to homes that are important. My grandchildren decorated my little tree this year and like you, I thought it was great.

December 15, 2018 at 11:41 AM  
Blogger Mage said...

What a lovely evening you had. Hugs,

December 16, 2018 at 5:12 PM  
Blogger Marie Smith said...

Your Christmas angel sounds perfect! Great story!

December 17, 2018 at 6:41 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

OMG you made me laugh "argue who gets it when Ma croaks" LOL.

I can so relate to this post, with a few exceptions. Yes, our first Christmas tree was a Charlie Brown one as well. We were broke too.

But after my second husband died (2010) I threw all the decorations in the garbage. It was a grief reaction (I did a lot of crazy things back then). I didn't want Christmas to come that year. Did not even shop. Just handed my kids money.

For the past few years, I've put up a small already lit Christmas tree, which takes about 3 seconds to put up and plug in. It looks a little sad in my big living room, especially when the whole gang (about 20 people) come over Christmas Eve.

So this year, I thought I'd get a huge tree. Someone had sent me a link to order one on-line and it would be delivered! Delivered! Well, I could certainly go for that! A real tree too.

Right on cue, the guys arrived (a couple of Saturday's ago), dressed in Nutcracker costumes, marched into my living room and set up the 6 foot tree! I really didn't expect it to be THAT big, but whatever...

They told me to leave it alone (all bound up in string) until the next morning, to give it a chance to defrost. It was around 5:00 am when I woke to the sound of a crash! The whole thing came tumbling down! What was I thinking? Why get a huge tree in the first place??

Never mind, I managed to push the thing upright, mop up the water on my hardwood floor, and cut the strings to release the branches. Ahhhhh, I almost heard it give a sigh of relief as it opened fully.

Now it's balanced properly, decorated and waiting for the family to arrive at Christmas.

Good for you to save and think about giving away your decorations to all the grands (better hurry before you croak.) LOL.

Have a wonderful Christmas Celia. <3

December 22, 2018 at 8:43 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Oh, I forgot to ask about making pizza from scratch. The crust too? Wow, I'd love to hear how you do that.(ok, I was going to ask for the recipe, but figured it would be too much trouble).

And so nice that the grands were there to help. I'd like to do that one year. You are truly blessed Celia.

December 22, 2018 at 8:46 AM  
Blogger Brig said...

I loved your story.
Wishing you a Very Merry Christmas.

December 24, 2018 at 10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home