My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Once more into the breach...welcome 2019


I wish you a Joyous New Year


Don't pass out, this is the second post in a row. I was an absent blogger much last year. Thank you for your posts last year.  I love reading them all.

I got some requests for the homemade pizza recipe.  It is from the Orca Parent Co-op Grade school that my sons attended K-5 in Seattle in 1978 and on. I taught some art classes there and tutored reading.  The pizza recipe instructions suitable for grade schoolers who are cooking under the eye of a adult-like person. This a copy of it with all the stains removed unlike the original.

I started making it again with my two 12-year old grandkids I have all day Tuesdays.  OMG it's so delicious, I'd forgotten how good homemade tastes. Plus they each do half a side of topping to their taste. Never any leftovers, it's pizza after all.

Pizza is basically a bread dough that is rolled out, spread with toppings and baked in an oven. Pizza started in Naples, but now you can find it everywhere.

First wash your hands. (definitely for grade schoolers :-)

To make the dough, you will need:

1 package (1 tbsp) dry yeast

1 1/3 cup water
2 tbsp salad oil (I use olive oil)
dash of sugar
dash of salt
About 4 cups of flour 

In a bowl, dissolve the yeast in the water until it is bubbly. Add the oil and salt. and begin adding the flour a little bit at a time, stirring it into the yeast mixture. Keep adding flour until the dough is no longer sticky. Knead the dough until all the ingredients are well mixed and the dough is smooth..Put the dough in a greased bowl and let it sit while you make the sauce.

That's it for the dough, it's easy and slightly sweet. If you want the rest of the recipe, here it is:

To make the sauce you will need:
***I use canned tomatoes with a small can of tomato paste. I found cooking the sauce from scratch took too long to thicken for me and small children*** 
About 2 pounds fresh tomatoes, 1 large onion, 1 clove garlic chopped fine, 1 tsp sweet basil and 1 tsp oregano.
Slice tomatoes (if you want more sauce cut up more tomatoes, you can freeze the excess). Add chopped onion, salt, pepper, garlic and spices. Stew on low heat in a fry pan until thick. This can be made ahead. 

***Or if you prefer a white sauce (I do) I use one made by https://www.thespruceeats.com/creamy-white-sauce-for-pizza-recipe-3377661 or I use white Alfredo sauce by the jar at the grocery. Same for the red sauce, if its from the grocery get the thickest one you can find otherwise your crust will be soggy.***

In another skillet cook any sausage or meats you like until thoroughly done. Chop up and use anything you like; green peppers, pepperoni, cooked chicken, or ham, olives, grated cheese, veggies etc, Prep whatever you like for toppings. I use big bags of grated cheese from the store, I like the white cheeses myself, Parmesan, use whatever suits you. 

Put the pizza together:
Preheat the oven to 400f. Roll out the dough to fit your pizza pan or a cookie sheet. It doesn't have to be round. Fit it on your pan. Spread your sauce over the top, add your chopped chosen meats or veggies or just cheese if you like. Then spread your grated cheese over the top. Let it sit for about 5-10 minutes. It allows the dough to rise a little. Then put it in the oven. Bake for about 25 minutes or until the edges are brown. Enjoy.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rain Trueax said...

I have a harder time when 'gluten free' but used to make pizzas for the youth groups and parties. They are better but not sure how to do it without wheat flour.

Happy New Year. Hope '19 is good to you and yours.

January 1, 2019 at 8:18 AM  
Blogger Mage said...

Oh delightful. We are watching our calories, but I will let you know when we slip toward your pizza,..

January 2, 2019 at 6:05 PM  
Blogger Kay said...

Ooooo... This sounds so delicious. We used to make pizza.... ummmm.... maybe 20 years ago.

January 18, 2019 at 8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home