My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Sunday, June 23, 2019

Rehabbing Myself and Getting Up

I see another month+ slipped away without writing anything. I read several other blogs and do comment most days but my urge to write seems to be taking a nap somewhere.

I've started a little-in home exercise routine. So far 10 days in a row.  My left leg has always been a little wimpy since a car accident in my 20's. Those things come back to bite us in our older years.  It refuses to hold me up at times and I have fallen twice in the last five years because of it, once on my face in the parking lot of a store. Arms full, no warning, bang. So I used good old U-tube and looked up exercises for stability and legs that I can do with out going somewhere.

Related image

I also found one about how to get yourself up off the floor. Getting Yourself Off the Floor  I can no longer get down and scrub the kitchen floor like I used to do because, duh, I can't get up. I used to pull myself up using the counter but a long winter of of coughing and inactivity has given me spaghetti arms as well. And, yes, I could have done these exercises but I didn't. I have hand weights and some instruction from a previous stint at the Physical Therapist. Ten days may not sound like much but I can see the improvements already.

I have plenty of time for myself since all the grandkids are very occupied this summer. After having kids around twice a week I suddenly have extra time. I'm planning a week's visit to see my three sisters who all live in and around Portland, Oregon. Hope to visit the Portland Art Museum and the Japanese Gardens there. The gardens have been redone since my last visit there and I'm very curious to see what they look like now.

Image result for portland oregon japanese garden photos
Photo:Travel Portland
Hope your weekend was good, so far mine has been and I've have read no news. Monday is soon enough for that.






10 Comments:

Blogger Rain Trueax said...

I worry about falling. The last one, a few years back, was when I walked into the bedroom, was in a hurry, caught my toe on the Oriental rug, and down I went-- hard. I put my hands out but wasn't strong enough and had my nose broken. Pushing it back into shape and using ice to stop the bleeding, and I actually ended up with a straighter nose than before. But it made me very aware of loose rugs as I could have killed myself with that fall. No falls since but I am extra careful how I even turn around when coming into a room.

June 23, 2019 at 4:17 PM  
Blogger Marie Smith said...

That sounds like a great thing you are doing for yourself. Strength training has helped me this year.

My biggest problems come from my knees and hips. Getting down to and up off the floor is difficult. I will work on it too.

June 23, 2019 at 4:50 PM  
Blogger Kay said...

Good for you! I know it will help you in the years to come. I need to be more active with my exercise. I've taken several falls already and it hasn't been good.

June 23, 2019 at 10:07 PM  
Blogger Brig said...

Yay, you have seen the obstacle and are doing something about it.
Strength training was included in Warrior Granny Yoga and it was very helpful. On slow activity days around here I jog up and down the stairs, carefully.

June 24, 2019 at 8:53 AM  
Blogger Marcia said...

I was always a so so exerciser. Had lots of excuses not to do it. Now that I live in this retirement community, the fitness classes are organized. I go to a muscle toning MWF at 9 and Boot Camp TTH at 8. My husband who is much more fit goes to the latter with me and despite our different levels of ability gets a lot from it.
Good luck with your exercise plan.

June 25, 2019 at 8:10 AM  
Blogger Tabor said...

I always encourage others to exercise. It is just me that fails to follow through.

June 25, 2019 at 10:03 AM  
Blogger Mage said...

Bravo...I too took a fall just like rains. Tripped on a rug and fell. I've gotten rid of the rug but shure miss it. Now I'm a good girl and am going to the pool for a workout three days a week.

June 28, 2019 at 3:24 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Great! Always feel better when I exercise.

July 16, 2019 at 5:14 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

Thanks for the visit and nice comment. I am sorry you are having issues too. Keep up the in-home therapy and it was pay dividends you never dreamed of!

September 23, 2019 at 10:18 AM  
Blogger Mage said...

I miss you.

October 14, 2019 at 11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home