Long Time No Write
Fall started out windy. This is our downtown. No, this isn't that common here. I did run into a tumbleweed stampede in the Columbia River Gorge once driving west on I-84 to Portland, Oregon. The wind was blowing east and several of us gave up and parked on the shoulder all lanes of the "herd" passed. As you can see some of the crowd can be as tall as a car. The wild west, ha ha.
My grand-mothering is getting cut back. I get the kiddies two or three times a week but like everything else changes happen. My Tuesday charges who are blooming young teens just visit and do homework on their Mom's work away from home day. Now they they will be doing it at their own home and watching a younger sibling. They are all home schoolers. I won't go into a lot of detail but I will really miss them. I take Tuesday as an opportunity for "field trips." Sometimes to a museum, to the Aviary here, or the local game shop. We've gone up into the hills or to the lake and they take photos. We visited the Whitman Mission often to keep track of the Western Red Turtles that live in a pond there and just hike around. Well, they hike, I walk in with a book and sit by the pond. I guess the season is over anyway for the turtle watching.

Photo: Whitman Mission National Park. This is the only photo I could find of the pond. My own photos are buried under some folder with a title I thought was self-identifying but apparently is not. There is also a long piece of the Oregon Trail through here, it's the track going diagonally through the photo. There is a huge hill here with a trail (that I can no longer climb) and a monument on it. That is where the photographer took this picture.
My Friday grandkids are now coming from noon to four PM instead of all day. They are 7 and 8. Oddly enough the first thing I though of was 'I won't have to get up early anymore." I'm usually up by 6 am. But, I actually like being up early, otherwise my day feels like it's shot before I've started. Sometimes want to and have to are the same thing.
Veteran's Day
My cousin Rick and his son Brian. Willamette National Cemetery. Rick's mother, my Aunt Gladys, a WAVE, and Rick's father my paternal uncle also a Richard, Navy, are there as well. Sleep well, we love and honor you.



9 Comments:
I love time with the grandkids too and know that will change as they get older. We must enjoy every minute we get with them as I can see you are doing.
Summer of 2018 we traveled the Oregon Trail and climbed the hill at the Whitman Mission. If you're interested check out https://sightingsat60.blogspot.com/search?q=oregon+trail. P. S. You're lucky to have that much time with the grands!
I am lucky to have the grandkids close. Easy access, even the married one moved back here.
So glad you have grandkids close. I've missed my Cali ones and the ones here are an hour away. Still all are healthy and doing well, I am blessed.
I see my grands less and they are growing into adults. It is as it should be, but I am not all that happy about it.
My time with grandkids changed so much as they grew up with so many social interests. I am just glad I had what I did.
Goodness those tumbleweeds are big. Never saw an actual one. Surely there much be a use for them.
Glad you get regular visits with the grands.
This day has personal interest for you. We thank them for their sacrifice.
I have NEVER seen such huge tumbleweeds. Wow!
Sigh... I wish I could spend more time with the grandkids.
Yes, those are some good sized tumbleweeds. Perhaps they are of such a good size to be painted white and stacked three tall. They do make nice snow men.
Grandkids. I made a conscious decision to not intrude in their adopted lives. Yes, I missed a lot, but they got to grow up without my mother's gar-bage....mother comes out at the most inapropriate times.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home