My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Saturday, March 7, 2020

Life with Corona-19


First let me say I hope you are all well and stay that way. I'm praying for our country and people and especially am grateful to our local governments since the head of our country is so incompetent and dismissive of the problem.

Our Washington State has become one of the poster children for the Corona-19.  My little town Walla Walla has several patients in our hospital. Last week it was one patient, who is doing well thank goodness, and now perhaps 6-7. The hospital is now restricted to staff, vendors and patients, no other visitors.  My pulmonologist is there. They told me to come in (I have COPD and a heart problem) so me and my little bottle of hand sanitizer went. I confess I felt like I was entering the dragon's cave. I do have a bit of an imagination.   It seems so strange that this is one of the first places the darned stuff popped up.

Meanwhile my son David and daughter-in-law Heather have set up arrangements to keep what they called "our dear old people" out of public and staying at home. They called off our Tuesday night family dinner that has 20-25 people usually there, we are a crowd and besides the elders there are a couple of kids with asthma so we are a little more cautious than some. There are five of us here 74 and up. I was quite touched. Turns out you can get groceries delivered from Safeway and the local Walmart will shop up your stuff and put it in your car at the curb. It's an adjustment as I usually shop every day or two for fresh stuff.  The kids will pick up odd things like stamps.  My last week shopping groceries they were indeed out of hand sanitizer. I got the last large bottle at Safeway and one at Bi-Mart. Still they were all out of water, even distilled water which I use for my CPAP. And they really were out of toilet paper, eggs and bread.  Good Lord, toilet paper? That seems nuts.

Meanwhile I gave the kids my season theater tickets, no plays or movies for awhile. I'm skipping church. I get out by going to the park and walking around in the fresh air.

I found this on NPR Golden Age of Hand Washing.  Teach your kids to wash their hands and dance. May you all stay well. Love and hugs.

This has sub-titles. I love it.


7 Comments:

Blogger Rain Trueax said...

So far, Tucson hasn't had a rush on the grocery store. The only cases though were Phoenix and that not fatal. We have considered what we'd need if the city shut down people for a few weeks. Mostly, I'd worry about being sure we had enough cat food. It is worrisome that we don't know what this will end up being-- also that it's probably been here longer than they admit.

March 7, 2020 at 3:12 PM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

I have several blog buddies from the Wash state area. Goodness have you all been hit. So glad your family is taking such precautions. Smart. I have treated this like a storm warning and have drinking water, pet food and medicines to last a couple of weeks. Understand your feeling about doctor's offices. I mean that is where sick people go. Pharmacies give me the same concern. I always try to book first appointment in the morning. I have the same medical conditions as you. We have to be extra careful. Do take care. We will get through this.

March 8, 2020 at 5:50 AM  
Blogger Marie Smith said...

Celia, It is good you are taking precautions as you are. We are more vulnerable as elderly and especially with health issues. Getting out in the fresh air is a great idea. Take care!

March 8, 2020 at 7:42 AM  
Blogger Tom at Sightings said...

Not to make light of the Coronavirus, because it's a serious thing. But I had to laugh when I saw this comment on facebook the other day: "It disturbs me to find out so many people think that washing your hands is 'the next new thing'.

March 8, 2020 at 8:39 AM  
Blogger Celia said...

Thank you all for your good wishes and Tom it is funny about washing hands being "the new thing."

March 8, 2020 at 8:49 AM  
Blogger Kay said...

My good friend's son is a doctor in that Kirkland hospital and has to wear the protective gear at work. Hand sanitizers are flying off the shelves here in Hawaii where we just got our 2nd confirmed case. Then again, we've only recently started testing so who knows? Hand washing is understood, but you need sanitizers when you're out and about. Please continue to take good care of yourselves.

March 8, 2020 at 10:11 PM  
Blogger Celia said...

Many thanks to your doctor friend Kay and all of those working for us. Genuine heroes.

March 9, 2020 at 11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home