My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Wednesday, October 28, 2020

First Post in Awhile

 I am struggling with the "new" blogger.  Can't figure out how to do anything. First I posted a cartoon and then blogger would not let me add any commentary. Argh.

I am isolating as suggested. I have some "underlying" conditions that indicate it would be foolish for me to mingle. The first couple of weeks I was scared and weepy. My town closed down on March 13, Friday the Thirteenth! Next week was my birthday and my party was cancelled. After that however I bounced back and while I am cautious I am back to my usual inexplicable carry on self. I'm kind of pragmatic anyway so the precautions kicked in and most of the angst I feel is related to the election and much hoped for ejection of the current resident of the White House. 

I miss my grandkids. There's nine of them. I miss my sons both of them. I miss my daughter-in-law, my only one. All of them are still employed that's cool. My eldest son came down with Covid-19 in August and after three weeks spent mostly asleep has recovered. He works in at a frozen food processing plant as Quality Control. In our area those places have been disease central from the get-go, Many of his co-workers are still getting ill and I'm praying he's doesn't get it twice, that seems to be rare, still...I'm his Mom, I worry. 

Amazingly everyone in my family is still employed. We are a wine tourist town and many, many people here lost their jobs and ultimately their businesses. In an effort to save some of the restaurants we closed two blocks of a street downtown and it's now lined with outdoor roofed patios and plastic furniture (cleanable with a hose.) My sister who is a teacher is teaching via Zoom her class of 4th graders. My youngest son who is an IT guy is back in his office after working for months from home. Daughter-in-law, a dental hygienist is back at her office as of six weeks ago, dressed in haz-mat looking gear. 

One of my grandgirls who is attending college remotely is now working there doing the mountains of laundry the dental office produces daily also attired haz-matterly. Actually all our would be college residents are lodged at home online and working in town here. And so on, I will spare you the rest. 

Okay here's the cartoon. Stay well all you all.



8 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

It is good to hear that you are doing okay, Celia. This is not over yet but so far so good. It has to be hard to be away from family for so long, especially all your sweet grandchildren. It is impossible not to worry about everyone.

October 28, 2020 at 2:16 PM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Loved the cartoon and I agree about new blogger. Really, really miss the old one.
Sorry about your birthday party and how awful about your son but thank goodness he recovered. Know you miss your family, that is the worst part of all this. Good news though that your family are all working. Think it will get worse before it gets better but maybe when we get a new tenant in the WH things might get better. Hopefully we can convince the majority of the people that these necessary restrictions will keep us alive, not irritate us to death. Hang in there.

October 28, 2020 at 2:49 PM  
Blogger Susan Zarzycki said...

Cute cartoon! I find blogger to e very frustrating also. Hopefully they will listen to the complaints and make improvements.💖

October 28, 2020 at 7:02 PM  
Blogger Tom said...

Nobody likes the new Blogger, but thanks for sticking with it and giving us a post.

October 29, 2020 at 10:19 AM  
Blogger Tabor said...

Perfect cartoon!! Lets us know it is not as bad as it could be. I have adjust to the blogger, but I think you have a fancier interface than I do.

October 29, 2020 at 12:24 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

So nice to hear from you Celia! I haven't been around either. It's so difficult missing our children and grandkids. I empathize with you and understand completely.
I hope this Covid stuff is over soon. My family is working as well. My daughter who works as nursing director in a nursing home came down with Covid19 in May. Like your son, she had it for 3 weeks and slept a lot. It was rough and I wished I could have been with her at the time. Two of my grands lost their jobs, but found in a plumbing supply company. Temporary, but at least they have some money coming in. My granddaughter (24) is going to Ghana, Africa! Yep, she's looking forward to missing the Canadian winter and spending time with friends in that part of the world. No fear of Covid, she has to be tested before boarding the plane (along with all the other passengers), wear a mask, etc. etc.

Not sure if you know my news, but I'm living in Oklahoma now. Met a man on a cruise last year, we fell in love and the rest is history as they say. I'm adjusting to this new life and the worst is missing my family. But hey, they are in lockdown in Montreal anyway.

October 29, 2020 at 5:18 PM  
Blogger Kay said...

I love seeing you back here, Celia. Thank you for the fun cartoon. I'd like to wish you a Happy Birthday ahead of time. I'm sorry you're feeling so disconnected. It's hard. I know. We've been pretty stuck at home from March. We missed flying to Maryland and Illinois to visit our grandchildren and children. But I guess we can hack this for a bit more. I'm sorry COVID has actually hit your family. My husband did lose a cousin in September.

October 29, 2020 at 7:20 PM  
Blogger Celia said...

Thank you for the comments. I can't seem to figure out how to reply to each one below their comment. Kay - sorry to hear about your loss. Wendy that's amazing news, congratulations on your wedding.

November 2, 2020 at 11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home