Looking Ahead and Back
Looking ahead but not across the street as we are completely fogged in. Very Rod Serling out there. And I'm having one of those contemplative days. Had two cups of coffee, apple and a chocolate bar for breakfast. I'll make up with salad for lunch. I expected to see the usual replica of my mother looking back at me in the bathroom mirror this morning but no; it was her mother, my grandmother Grace. My face has moved along when I wasn't looking. Not that I mind. I loved my G-Grace's face. I have no idea how my mother would have looked at my age as I have outlived her by several key years already. Plus, she looked several years younger than she was in spite of being terminally ill. G-Grace managed to make it well into her 80's. I believe I will as well.
I read Tom's Sightings Over Sixty this morning: "Is Longevity in Your Future?" It's a good read. Thought provoking especially after seeing my grandmother's face this morning. I totally agree with the idea that being able to live in a "walkable" place is a real plus and I do.
Driving around I can see (from most streets) the rolling hills of farms or the foothills of the Blue Mountains. Yet, my condo is two blocks from downtown. A busy and touristy place pre-plague. I don't miss the intoxicated visitors trying to get themselves run over on our streets but I have to admit the wine industry has brought us some good things as well besides some tasty sipping. Who knows when or how that will recover. The tasting rooms are still there but several good restaurants have closed forever as they have all over the country. I'm "eating out" more than usual in an effort to keep my favorite eating places open. These businesses our often run by our friends and neighbors. They will meet you at the door with hot takeout of all varieties. They deliver too but OMG I need to get out of the house! Tonight I'm planning on getting a bag ala Chinese. Broccoli beef for one thing.
Stay well.


6 Comments:
Thanks for reading my blog post. I love your 2021 resolutions. So here's the thing about walkability. I live in town with sidewalks. Very walkable. But now they tell me you not only have to live there ... but you have to actually get out and walk!
Had to smile at your Grandmother's face. I see mine in the mirror also and not the one who aged well. Darn.
I could get behind those resolutions.
I smiled at your grandmother’s face in the mirror. I will see my mom’s but even more than see her, I sound like her. My husband always reminds me too.
Take care and hang in there. I pray the end of this pandemic is on the horizon.
When mom used to complain about some wrinkles or white hair I'd smile thinking she should expect it at her age. Now here I am looking at myself and wondering why is everything sagging? And oh no... my hair is turning all white and falling out. Arrrghhh... I know. I know. I should expect it at my age, but sheeeesh...
I see an aunt in my mirror and it surprises me as I didn't think I looked at all like her when younger or when she was younger in photos.
I also had to smile reading that you looked in the mirror and saw your Grandma. My Mom never complained about wrinkles and grey hair, she felt is was her badge of honour for bringing up 5 children! She was very down-to-earth. I'm not so tolerant of aging as she was. LOL
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home