Cooked
Hope you are staying cool. Yes, I'm complaining about the heat although I know pretty much every one on the West Coast is experiencing this weather oddity as well as those of you who get this every year. Here in Eastern Washington we are getting pancaked by the heat. People's tires going flat, people ending in the ER dehydrated. A neighbor had the glass top on his patio table spontaneously shatter in 1000's of pieces. Fortunately it was too hot out for anyone to be anywhere near it. Today is supposed reach 116 degrees, the latest in a week of broken records. These kind of temperatures usually show up gradually and not until August, and not this high. While most of us have A/C (but not all) we were not prepared. Many of us here were hoping the city would ban fireworks but there is some archaic WA State law that says we have to place the ban a year ahead of time. Say what?? We've already had small wildfires around here, some inside the city limits, eek.
It's cooling down in Western WA, where almost no one has air conditioning. We Eastsiders are in for at least another week of 100+. Yesterday around 5pm my eldest son showed up at my door on foot and quite red in the face. He came in, went straight to the fridge and downed a liter of flavored water. It's smother-you hot outside here. Also he's 50 and an insulin dependent diabetic. This sends my "MOM-me" persona into overdrive. He had gone down to his apartment's laundry room to start his wash and realized he had forgotten his key (including car keys) in his apartment. And his phone. The manager wasn't home. It was 114 outside. He used my phone to call the company who manages the building and made an appointment to meet him and let him in. For $75. I drove him over and we waited in the shade in my air conditioned car. They did show up right on time though. For $75. He called and said he skipped the laundry and took a cool shower. He was sitting in front of the air conditioner.
I guess this is just one more way the Universe reminds that I am in charge of NOTHING. Keeps happening, I guess I must be a slow learner.

10 Comments:
What did I see -- hottest spot in BC, 116 or something absurd. My daughter is in Vancouver. Fortunately (I think) they are near water and Stanley Park (which I had to look up bc my head was stuck on Hyde Park which is in Toronto).
So sorry you are all suffering so in that part of the world. I can't believe they charged him to open his apartment. That almost seems criminal. Glad he had you to help him.
Take care and stay safe.
Good grief. A charge of $75.00 to open an apartment is ridiculous. Especially under the circumstances.
Stay cool!
Join the hot weather club. I decided to skip my usual Wed. golf game here in eastern PA because the temp. is going up to 95. Too much! Meanwhile, my sister from Phoenix called. She's happy because it's only going to 106 there today. Last week it was 115 every day!
That heat seems brutal. We don't usually get that (over 100 is almost unheard of). But when it comes, it's a total shock. Stay as cool as you can!
Yep, when it gets into the 90s, i get mighty grateful for the window AC in the upstairs bedroom. Sleeping in hot, muggy ... eh, no thanks.
I'm a Western Washingtonian and have a mere portable A/C and fans which are certainly better than nothing, but don't work in 110 degree heat. Horrible! The bedrooms are upstairs and they are miserable. I took off to the Olympic peninsula with my boyfriend who has an air conditioned camper. I was wondering if the east side would get a reprieve, but you're generally hotter than we are, although also lower humidity. That was worrisome about your son and the $75 charge was outrageous!
So sorry about the heat wave. I have a daughter in Portland and worry about her. So glad your car air is working well. I agree that the $75 dollar charge was not ok. Hugs to you.
Oh wow! This sounded absolutely awful. We were not in Hawaii, but we thankfully usually have tradewinds. I've heard that a lot of people don't have air conditioners.
Awful. I hate extreme heat. We have hot summers here in Oklahoma. But everyone has AC and we stay indoors most of August and some of July. Big change from Montreal, Canada. It does get hot in summer in Canada, but not for such a long period of time.
I agree with the others that charging $75.00 is a rip-off!
Hope things have cooled down by now.
Big hugs Celia
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home