My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Monday, January 17, 2022

What Me Cook?

Cooking and meal planning is not my forte lately so I signed up for a meal service called Everyplate that sends you the ingredients for three meals a week. My Grandgirl has it and she liked it. It comes in packed in refrigerated materials and was to show up at my door on Thursdays. It's actually meals for two but both Grandgirl and I are single so the second meal became the next days lunch. You can take a pass on any week you choose which I did for the second week to see how I liked the first one. The first meal was good. The second was not to my taste (or was it my cooking?), and the third was good. My problem with it was all the packing materials. Boxes, thawed out freezer bags, and a big pile of small packets of spices, sauces, etc. all in more plastic. For the first time in all the years I've lived here I had twice the garbage and only the cardboard shipping boxes were recyclable. 

I got the second shipment, late. Not their fault, we had a foot of snow landed the day before. The highways in all directions were shut down by snow and accidents. But ice packs or no I wasn't crazy about meat that sat somewhere waiting two or three days extra to be delivered, epecially chicken. And again, more garbage. So I cancelled. It's off to the grocery for me. Incidentally I then bought ingreditents and made the best teriyaki stir fry ever. Maybe I can cook after all. The ingredients for it were delivered same day from my local Safeway for a much smaller fee.

 

Is this next? Ha, ha, ha.

I usually go to Safeway myself except for this snow or ice.  Most of  Walla Walla proper is pretty flat but our condo driveway is down a small hill, past the first building and then up another small hill to the other four buildings. If your vehicle is not snowy hill safe you run the risk of being stuck in that small chunk of driveway in the bottom.  Mine is not. We usally don't get this kind of snow so I don't bother with studded tires etc. as putting around town is not that hard.  The snow removal guy didn't show until the 6th day, because everyone was calling. A friend of mine who works for the city spent his nights running one of the few snow removal vehicles the city owns. What a mess.  So bless the guy with who delivered my groceries and also my son Dave who brought me some in his trusty truck.

3 Comments:

Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

I checked out that site and was impressed till you mentioned all the waste materials. Almost a great idea.
That is some snow you have gotten. Glad you had such reliable delivery.

January 17, 2022 at 12:13 PM  
Blogger Marie Smith said...

The last thing we need is more garbage. You think they’d have the recycling figured out by now.

We have mountains of snow after storms on two consecutive weekends. The wind has been so high that white-outs are common and it’s really cold with the windchill. Misery thy name is winter!

January 17, 2022 at 7:03 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Yeah. Cooking is a it of a chore here.

January 18, 2022 at 5:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home