My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Thursday, June 8, 2023

Still here

I am okay, just drawing blanks about what to write. It's been a rough year so far. My very best friend forever Nancy died in March. Not a surprise but we have been friends for thirty-five plus years. We met at work, both programmers. She was widowed and my husband and I had just divorced. She and I worked and traveled together. She played duplicate bridge with my ex. Sometimes work "families" are as complicated as relative families. My youngest sister Susan's husband Michael died February 8. He was my friend as well. He came down with Stage 4 Prostate cancer and died a hard death over a period of a year. The first symptom he noticed was his right foot wasn't working quite right. It was because the cancer was in his spine and everywhere else. Please you all, keep your Dr. appts. My father had it too but they caught it early and he lived a good life afterwards.

Close to home here all four of my high school age grandkids are worried and often afraid when they go to school. We are a semi-small town in E Washington and the high school has been locked down four times in this school year. Once when one student held up someone and then came to school where he was arrested. All things happened near but not at the school.

Closer to home the condo upstairs from me (right on top actually) was sold and is being remodeled. The noise is not good. After a week of really bad it has quieted down to a dull roar. There's no good way around it. The new owners came to my door to apologize, they seem quite nice and really there is no way around it. I met their rehab guy and I like him and I'm hoping maybe he can do something with my condo after he is done. His work is very good. Most of my floors are awful.

Here's to a better rest of 2023.



 

6 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

Oh Celia! It has been a tough year by the sound of it. I hope the remainder of the year will be more peaceful for the children and you. It must be hard to have lost your friend and a family member so close together too. I am so sorry for the losses in your life. I hope the good memories will help in the lonely times. At least it is a time of year when one can get out and enjoy nature, especially during the renovations upstairs.

June 8, 2023 at 3:46 PM  
Blogger DrumMajor said...

Sorry for your losses, and your loss of rest time! There's always cotton or official ear plugs, but you'd probably still hear the vibrations of progress. Yep, sometimes a good drink is what's needed. Linda in Kansas

June 8, 2023 at 8:15 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Sounds like uncertain and anxious times for you. As I go through my prostate problems and surgeries, at least I can say that they are not related to cancer, just a very reluctant prostate. Or maybe the opposite of reluctant. Maybe more like over-aggressive.

June 9, 2023 at 5:33 AM  
Blogger Tabor said...

you have gone through much! I send you peaceful and uplifting thoughts and hope that your find peace of mind in the little things. Our neighbor has been replacing his roof this whole last week and that noise can really get on your nerves, so I do empathize. I am so sorry for your losses. Really sorry!! Hubby had prostate cancer years ago and they caught it early.

June 11, 2023 at 6:59 AM  
Blogger Celia said...

Thanks for all the good thoughts.

June 12, 2023 at 10:11 AM  
Blogger Celia said...

Thanks for all the good thoughts.

June 12, 2023 at 10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home