Home on the range.

Here's the latest picture of my home. Not really. It's not too long a drive from town to find these old barns and horses. I am working on my art again and to make it easier I'm sketching my favorites, horses and crumbling buildings. One of the my greatest sorrows is that horse dander gives me emergency room grade asthma. My allergies go straight for my chest. Ditto moldy hay laden barns. From age 10 to 13 I lived in a horse heavy area and I rode with my friends anyway with predictable results. Their parents would cart me blue lipped home and my mother would haul out the emergency supplies, then they treated it with adrenaline by hypo, scrub me up and "enjoy" my company while I sat up in bed starting to breath again. A 10 year old thinks two days at home wheezing is not great a price to pay to be atop a horse. As an adult it just got geometrically worse. So now my horse interactions are mostly from a distance. I have been done in by a wind blowing horse fuzz on me as I sit in the stands at a horse race. So I take my sketch pad and my camera to get my horse and barn fix long distance.

This sway backed old barn had fresh hay on the floor and appeared to be in use! And here comes another occupant wanting to know what the heck I am doing. I rejected better judgement and let this fellow nibble my hand. I am a slow learner. I went back to the van holding my hand away from me and washed it with water and wipes. It did produce a couple of welts but...



7 Comments:
Take lots of barn pics, they are one of my favorites. Good luck on the table hunt. I've been hitting the thirft stores & estate sales for the odd junk piece.
One of the best things about a breakup is extra room for an easel. You are going to be just fine.
Can you sketch from the photos? That way you can make a quick retreat?
Tabor - yes I can sketch from photos, but usually start from across the road ;-)just couldn't resist, and I use binoculars. Just a little old weirdo out on the road.
Marcia - there is a surprisingly large amount of extra space. I can walk around without smacking my hip on something. And the light in there is great in the morning.
Brighid - I think of you often, good to hear from you.
You sound wonderful. Yes, dust leaves me breathless plus. Mold, danders, and of all things the base that carries bug sprays. Right now I am in search of the one that made me collapse. I like your way of doing it. Today I do it your way with roses....which I love but also leave me breathless.
it must be exciting to be sketching again! do you plan to get involved in stained glass again, too? i wish i had artistic leanings...NONE. :(
Sky - I love to do glass again, have a ton of glass stored aways alas for the last 10 years. I hope to try something with a kiln, like slumping, making plates or bowls. It would be something new for me.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home