My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Vacation Bible School

No pictures, whatever the reason they just wouldn't load this morning ;-0.  This is day three of VBS.  I'm helping with the crafts. It has been a fun week so far.  No pictures being made out of noodles or seeds but plenty of key chains, birdhouses, and popsicle stick picture frames.  I have six grandgirls who attend here it seemed like a good place to be.  The last time I did it was several years ago and it was satisfying and I like kids.  What I forgot was the several years has made some changes in me.

Day One - Arrived for our cowboy themed affair.  It's red day, dress in red. Forgot my water bottle, ate a huge chocolate covered donut that is not on my diet anywhere.  I wore sensible shoes but my feet gave out after about 1/2 an hour and complained bitterly the rest of the day. Kids, coming by grade K-5, were delightful and seemed to enjoy themselves.  Our fearless craft leader is a joy to work with as are the two mid-high girls who make up the craft team with me.  Two of my grandgirls have graduated from attendees to team members and it was fun to see how good they were with the kids especially the young ones.  You'd think living in a household of six girls they might be tired of children but the opposite seems to have happened.  We decorated bags for the kids to stash their product for the week. I cut out at least 10 pounds of cowboy boots, hats, hearts, butterflies, I am good with scissors and our decorations, except for glitter ran out fast.  The room is covered with glitter, the kids are covered with glitter, fortunately none of it seemed to be actually glued to the kids. Went home, covered my feet with bengay, put on my socks and napped for an hour.

Day Two - Brought my water bottle and earplugs, and the six grandgirls.  The meetups with  a zillion kids singing are fun but deafening.  My feet got different sensible shoes and two ibuprofen beforehand and quit hurting.  Ate a muffin, oops. It's purple day, and dress like a cowboy day.  Purple?  And cowboys?  The high school boys who are herding kids this week did a great job with the kids and being purple cowboys.  Since this is a farm town in spite of the wineries, almost everyone has a stetson and/or boots.  Although the kids are given water at least twice during the three hours one wee lassie overheated, and we watered her again, and laid her down in a quiet room and her gran came and collected her.  We glued together the popsicle sticks, they colored scarves with markers, and  some of the younger ones colored what I think of as Sunday school coloring sheets.  I am inordinately fond of those and still have mine from 1946 or 47.  Went home, took a shower, we had a sunny day and put on my bengay laden socks and took a nap.  Printed off another coloring sheets and went to dinner with family.

Day three - Got the six girls again.  I'm adjusting to getting up a 6 am, set the clock but woke up at 5:30, ewhhh, how did that happen?  I have rise early though, it takes me forever to get ready for the day, on any day, shower, lotion for terminally dry skin, do all the meds, fix a healthy breakfast.  I'm taking a banana today to fight off chocolate croissants, will it work?  Feet don't hurt, took ibuprofen anyway.  Been setting up the coffee pot the day before and we are ready to roll.

6 Comments:

Blogger marciamayo said...

If you can drive 6 grandgirls around, you can do anything.

June 22, 2011 at 8:53 AM  
Blogger Tabor said...

I did a copy and past and that seemed to work on the photos...but they are put in as text and cannot be clicked. Hoping when I post again in the future that Blogger is no longer having a fit.

June 22, 2011 at 4:05 PM  
Blogger Celia said...

Thank you Marcia. Some days I can!!
Tabor I will try that if nothing is working next time.

By the way, I ate my banana, and then, sigh, I ate the chocolate covered doughnut. Took a 2-hour nap when I got home. Love my bed.

June 22, 2011 at 4:40 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

What Marcia said!!

I think working for VBS would be fun, but it would wear me out!!

Thanks for the visit and the nice comment. I am sad about my cats, but I will admit to being glad I don't have to empty litter pans for a while.

June 22, 2011 at 4:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love that you have VBS during the morning. Ours has been in the evening for so many years I've lost track. I tried to help one year but after 4 pm I am useless for such things. Even committee meetings can be too much for my brain by then.

June 22, 2011 at 6:24 PM  
Blogger Sky said...

sounds like you are having a great time! can't wait to see some pics of the colorful days you are having!

June 24, 2011 at 1:08 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home