Calendars
Even in retirement calendars are big in my life. I am surprised at how fast the end of 2012 has come, the Christmas break is nearly over. I have a 2013 wall calender hung under the old one in the kitchen ready to go. I've gone with monthly photos of porches in various lovely settings for some years. This year I received a calender of grumpy old lady cartoons. It made me laugh but I don't think 30 days of viewing it every day is going to do it for me. I like to be transported out of my life into nature when I look at my calendar so I'm going to move it and shop up another for the kitchen.
I have my new purse calendar at the ready, I check it every morning to make sure I don't miss some appointment, visit, or errand I needed. Today I will fill out the 2013 version. I toss the old one in a drawer. They are little books journaling my life. I haven't been able to throw them away for the last 14 years. I've tried but so far they are so stuffed with good memories (and a few not so good), I can't part with them. Reading them often makes me laugh or smile. I see some worry that was really small, a large one we survived, or a list of the grandgirl's favorite colors that year. I had no trouble tossing all my calendars from work when I retired but these are full of birthdays, car trips, lunch dates with friends, and all the other emphemera that makes up our lives. There's lists of gifts to purchase, books and films I want to enjoy, as well the size of my tires and my furnace filters, the brand name of some favorite socks. My attempts at journalling have never been so regular.
I've entered a couple of scheduled appointments and on Jan 5th, the first family birthday of the year and it's the first birthday for a grandchild. Auspicious to begin with such a celebration. Keeps in mind what is good in my life.


5 Comments:
I keep my old journals, as like you, they are packed with good and bad things and hold lots of memories.
I have bought a Garden Bird calendar for next year with a Robin on the front. I'm very fond of robins (English kind are the only ones I know.) Last year I had a Garden Flowers calendar. They are the kind that you can write on everyday and the first thing I do is to enter all the Birthdays and I check every day to see if there are any B/days or appointments.
Hoping your next year will be really kind to you and yours.
Maggie X
Nuts in May
I get too many big picture calendars and wish I had some place to send them! I also hang on to my little book calendars, but they are not filled with notes, so yours would be more useful to save.
I love getting new calendars about bought mine for '13 awhile back. I think I want one more but haven't come across the right one. Mine are behind '12 as you said and waiting. Down here in Tucson, I got December printed off; so I'd have a mini-record of what was when. I love the new calendar choice and this time of the year when we're ready for a clean sweep. Unfortunately I'll be on the road the 31st-3rd probably and maybe longer depending on weather over Siskiyous. But soon home and free to think about the coming year and what it will bring.
I don't wear a watch any more or hang a calendar on a wall. I have time and calendar in my cell phone which is with me all the time. I enter all appointments and important dates with a time for an alarm to remind me.
I also share a calendar online with my daughter,she lives 125 miles away from me. That way we can check on appointments and have a better idea if either of us is free for a long chat. It works for us.
Have a wonderful 2013 with a calendar full of good things.Happy New year.
Celia- I did the very same thing today- pitching the old little purse calendar into my dresser drawer where there are at least 10 more old guys awaiting their new buddy- just filled out all the important numbers in the new one for my purse and putting all the birthdays and other important dates into the big calendar that lives in the kitchen. I keep those big old calendars also. Funny how we have those little habits that keep the next year rolling along and our memories are saved in the pages from the prior years.
Cheers and Happy New Year!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home