My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

A Little Freeze

Photo: Eric La Fountaine

I'm having a weather doldrums.  It's cold, it's foggy.  Tiny little flakes of frozen fog fall intermittently.  I'm sleepy and feel like hibernating until Spring.  Still I got showered and am ready get out and about.  This Wednesday is the day to grocery shop and visit.  Not my usual day but our week of predicted below freezing temps with fog has been amended to include a day and a half of freezing drizzle beginning tomorrow.  Flat as our terrain is it sounds nasty to drive on.  We used to get what was called silver thaws in Portland, Oregon when I lived there as a child.  It usually left everything covered with ice including pedestrians and bought down wires and tree branches.  I remember walking home from the bus stop and in five blocks had icicles hanging on me.  This sounds similar.  Still, I am glad we are not shuffling through 2' or even 2" of snow.

Last night I watched two of the Swedish versions of Wallender on Netflix.  I'm hooked.  I liked the BBC one with Kenneth Branagh but I like these better even with subtitles.   Started doing stretches and some exercises while I watch.  Ever since I spronged my back last summer I can't sit for very long, films in the theater are still out, the grandkid school concerts are a bit of a rough go too.  So every 15-20 minutes I rise like bread dough and knead myself.

I just started reading Nevada Barr's Anna Pigeon's mysteries.  My friend Nancy loaned me a whole grocery bag of them.  I'm finishing up the second one, better than the first.  The writing is better, nice turns of words.  Things I wished I'd said.  The books are all set in national parks.  The first was in the Guadalupe Mountains National Park in Texas, a park that was new to me.  The second is in Isle Royale in Michigan.  I love that I can look each park up on web as I begin the book, checking out the maps, campsites, and history.  And pictures!  Especially the pictures.  Makes me want to plan road trips and see some of what I've missed. 

I should go back and get more maps from AAA.  I went to our local AAA office Monday to re up my road plan and found it is closing permanently.  Another five people in our small town unemployed.  In January, right after Christmas.  I've counted another 3 longtime businesses that disappeared in December, a photographer, a flooring and decor shop, a restaurant, and a 4th, we lost a book and gift store too earlier.  Maybe those congress members who complained about working over the holiday could try thinking about someone else for a change.  Off my soap box before I begin. 

Stay warm and safe.

9 Comments:

Blogger Optimistic Existentialist said...

I am considering hibernating until spring as well :)

January 2, 2013 at 11:34 AM  
Blogger Brig said...

enjoyed most of the Anna Pigeon series for the same reasons...
It has been cold here as well.
Be warm & safe!

January 2, 2013 at 1:09 PM  
Blogger Mage said...

Oh, happy new year to you too. I like those volumes. Not quite as comfy but very well written are the Crais mysteries. :)

January 2, 2013 at 4:33 PM  
Blogger Kathe W. said...

I will have to get over to our library and check out the Anna Pigeon series- plus the Netflix Wallender series....
Take care and drive safely!
As for those folks in Washigton DC- t'would be nice if they would really pay attention to what is happening in our country.

January 3, 2013 at 7:31 AM  
Blogger Kathe W. said...

Celia- quick question about Neflix- I tried to reserve Wallander but it seems it isn't available.I only have discs mailed to me- do you have the streaming plan? Thanks!

January 3, 2013 at 7:57 AM  
Blogger Celia said...

Kathy, I have just the streaming Netflix, never seem to get around to the discs.

January 3, 2013 at 10:21 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Me too. Love Anna Pigeon. I like the idea of hibernating. LOL

January 5, 2013 at 3:32 PM  
Blogger Sky said...

the freezing precip and ice, i don't like, but i wish we had a little frosty snow. i love a 3-4 inch snowfall that lasts about 3 days and then disappears. stay warm and safe if you are out in it.

January 10, 2013 at 11:13 PM  
Blogger Maggie May said...

Would be good to hibernate, wouldn't it?
However, at the moment, I'm watching people struggle to walk on ice & snow from my window and I'm really pleased that I managed to shop in advance of the weather forecast warning us of the snow storm but I'm wondering how long it will go on for and how long my supplies will hold out!
Maggie x

Nuts in May

January 19, 2013 at 3:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home